It is interesting to note that there are still many homes in America with manual garage doors, even though automatic doors have been around for over a decade. One reason for this is the fact that unlike automatic garage doors, their manual counterparts are cheaper to maintain and there is far less that can go wrong with them. Not to mention that most older homes have always had a manual garage door and owners like to stick with it because the upgrade is expensive.
The good news is that homes built within the last 2 decades almost always have an automatic garage door. The reason for that is automatic garage doors make life easier, are not as expensive anymore, and tend to add value to a home. However, if you are a homeowner who has a manual garage door, should you upgrade to an automatic one? That’s a question we’ll attempt to answer in this article.
The Myriad of Benefits Associated with Automatic Garage Doors
Automatic garage doors haven’t been around for as long as their manual counterparts. However, they offer many benefits which include:
- Open and close the garage door from the comfort of your car or truck. So, if it is raining, snowing, or extremely cold outside, there is no need to leave the comfort of your vehicle.
- Automatic garage doors are also safer compared to their manual counterparts. It is especially the case if you have small children as the sensors can detect there is someone in the way and stop the door.
- It is easier to find automatic garage doors available in different colors, materials, and designs. Not to mention that they are also easier to find.
- Automatic garage doors are more resistant to damage because of the sensors installed on them, which prevents the door from being closed if there is an obstruction.
- Homeowners can customize how fast or slow the door swings open or closes.
Now before you upgrade to an automatic garage door, it is worth taking note of the potential drawbacks associated with them.
Downsides of Automatic Garage Doors
The good news is that automatic garage doors have fewer drawbacks, and technology helps to minimize those drawbacks with each new model. Known drawbacks include:
- They are more expensive compared to manual garage doors.
- Installing an automatic garage door requires more work and can be consequently more expensive.
- Only aprofessional can install an automatic garage door owing to several safety risks associated with the installation process.
It is important to mention that modern home builders always lean in favor of automatic garage doors because they add value to the home and curb appeal. You might want to upgrade your current manual garage door depending on what you want. If you are not sure if the existing manual garage door can be upgraded then contact specialists like us who can help you determine it.